Keeping your commercial building safe and clean is a top priority. But in your quest for a clean workplace, are you sacrificing sustainability? If you use conventional cleaning products filled with harmful chemicals, the answer is probably yes.
The word “green” is vague, and many manufacturers use it as a buzzword to attract consumers. As a result, not all “green” cleaning products are as environmentally friendly as they want you to believe. So, what makes a cleaning product truly green?
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), green products do not contain a large amount of:
- Harmful chemicals, including carcinogens, ozone-depleting substances, or hazardous air pollutants
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which affect air quality and can lead to health issues
- Non-biodegradable materials
Green cleaning products should:
- Use efficient, recyclable, or recycled materials
- Contain clear labels and disposal information
- Limit disinfectants, which are often unnecessary
- Work well in cold water
Essentially, green cleaning products minimize the use of harmful chemicals, require less water than conventional cleaning products, and use environmentally friendly materials and practices throughout the manufacturing and shipping process.
Green cleaning products have exploded in popularity in recent years. Chances are you’ve noticed new eco-friendly products gaining shelf space in your local stores. However, despite their increasing popularity, green cleaning products often get a bad reputation for being inferior to traditional cleaning products.
If you’re concerned that using green cleaning products will force you to sacrifice cleanliness, it’s time to stop worrying. With proper use, natural alternatives are just as effective as cleaning chemicals, and they come with plenty of benefits. Plus, with so many eco-friendly products on the market, your commercial cleaning provider has many options to choose from to ensure your space is as clean as possible.
The rise of green cleaning products isn’t just a fad. Eco-friendly cleaning products have become popular with business owners for several reasons. Here are a few benefits that come with using green cleaning products instead of conventional cleaners.
Does your building reek of chemicals every time your commercial cleaning team visits? That smell isn’t just annoying—it can also be bad for the health of you and your employees. Many commonly used cleaning products contain VOCs and harmful chemicals like ammonia, which can lead to respiratory issues and skin irritation. Regular exposure to toxic chemicals can also cause cancer.
Using green cleaning products is an easy and effective way to improve air quality. Green products don’t release toxic chemicals and VOCs into the air, which means your workplace will be safer for your employees.
Think of how much waste your traditional cleaning products create. Unless you make a conscious effort to choose refillable containers or bulk products, you probably send several BPA-filled plastic bottles and metal aerosol cans to the landfill each week.
If you want to reduce your company’s waste, using green cleaning products is a great start. Because these products are typically made with recycled, recyclable, or low-waste materials, they use fewer resources before they even make it to your facility. And once your cleaning team runs out of a product, they can either recycle or reuse the packaging.
In addition to producing less waste, your company can reduce its carbon footprint in other ways by using green cleaning products. The products themselves are biodegradable and free of chemicals, which means they don’t cause air or water pollution. Eco-friendly cleaning products also require less water, which means you can reduce your hot water consumption.
Many business owners equate the word “green” with more expensive products. When it comes to cleaning products, that’s not true. Many eco-friendly products are cheaper than their conventional counterparts, and they require fewer resources to use. Using green cleaning products can benefit the environment and your bank account.
Learn how Carlson keeps your facilities clean without sacrificing sustainability.
- Not all green cleaning products are created equal. Look for products that use biodegradable materials instead of toxic chemicals or VOCs.
- When used properly, green cleaning products can be just as effective as traditional cleaning agents.
- Using green cleaning products is beneficial for many reasons. They can help you minimize your carbon footprint, reduce health hazards for your employees, and, in many cases, save money.
Are you ready to embrace the green cleaning trend? Carlson can help. Our building maintenance experts use the latest green cleaning technology and techniques to keep your building clean and safe. Our team offers the following products and services to fit your company’s unique cleaning needs:
- Green carpet cleaning: We use green cleaning products and the smallest amount of water possible to clean your carpets thoroughly.
- Green cleaning products: From disinfectants to tile cleaners, we use a variety of green cleaning products throughout your building. We test every product before use to ensure it delivers the clean you’re looking for while upholding our sustainability standards.
- Plant-based products: If you want to further your green cleaning mission, you can request that we use entirely plant-based products. These organic cleaners are safe, effective, and great for the environment.
You don’t have to worry about a subpar clean with our green cleaning services. Carlson has over 60 years of experience providing exceptional cleaning services to businesses across the upper Midwest, and we meet the same high standards for every client—no exceptions. Whether you want to use green cleaning products or plant-based cleaners for your store, school, or warehouse, you can be confident that Carlson will keep your facilities clean and safe.
Ready to make a difference in and beyond your building? Get in touch with Carlson to learn more about our green cleaning services.